As soon as you turn your shower on you run the risk of slipping and falling because of the wet floor. Most of us have had this experience and if it weren’t for our agility, grab bars or blind luck, there is a very good chance that we might have experienced an injury-inducing fall. The situation gets even worse as we get older and become senior members of the society.
Bathroom falls are some of the leading causes of injuries and even deaths among elderly people. As much as these falls can be minimized or eliminated entirely, not very many people take the necessary steps to do so. Furthermore, not everyone can afford the latest walk-in tub.
However, if you have a walk-in shower and you are concerned about your safety while in the bathroom, then you should strongly think about investing in a shower seat like a folding shower seat, a bath bench, or a wall mount shower seat that will not only keep you safe but also comfortable and well supported while you shower.
Why Buy A Shower Seat?
According to the CDC, there are over 200,000 non-fatal bathroom injuries recorded in the U.S. each year. These injury rates tend to increase with age (the older the demographic, the more frequent and severe the falls/injuries). Although all these injuries occurred within the bathroom setting, most of them happened in or around the shower/bathtub area.
These numbers suggest that bathroom falls and injuries are very frequent and with enough time (considering the fact that we use the bathroom every day) inevitable. That is why safety features like a shower chair for elderly people are essential. The video below gives you a good idea of why you need to invest in a shower seat.
Whether you live alone or have a care worker helping you with your personal hygiene, the fact remains the same: you need to be safe and comfortable when taking a shower. That is why you should invest in the right shower seat the elderly.
Who Benefits from Using Shower Chairs?
Often Referred To As:
- Bath chairs
- Shower stools
- Bath benches
- Shower benches
- Shower seats
These devices provide the necessary assistance and support to anyone who feels as if they cannot stand safely or alone in a shower or bathtub setting. Although commonly associated with the elderly, these safety aids can be used by people of all ages.
The Different Type Of People Who Need To Use Shower Seats Include:
- The elderly
- Those recovering from a back injury
- Those who are recovering from broken bones (legs, ankles, knee injuries)
- Those who are in casts and who use crutches
- Those with long-term disabilities
The alternative to shower seats is a home modification. You might have to completely re-do your entire bathroom and make it conducive to your particular needs. However, this is often a very costly and time-consuming endeavor that is to a great degree, unnecessary.
If you can find the right shower chair for you, all this can be avoided, and you will still be safe and comfortable as you take a shower every day. With that in mind, here are some of the top-rated and safest shower seats for the elderly.
Reviews: Best Shower Seat For The Elderly
Every shower seat listed below has its pros and cons. But just because a product is highly rated and works for thousands of people doesn’t necessarily mean that it will work for you. Before choosing, there are a few things that you need to consider.
What To Consider When Choosing A Shower Chair:
- How much space do you have in your shower/bathtub?
- How much weight will the chair need to support?
- Do you want a fixed or an adjustable shower seat?
- Has your doctor recommended any particular type of shower seat?
Ensure that you have all these answers at hand as well as the measurements of the surface on which the shower stool will need to stand. With all that in mind, here is a quick list of some of the best shower chairs suitable for the elderly.
This wall-mount fold-down shower bench from TeakWorks4U is not only sturdy, but it is functional and looks really good/neat in the shower. You can mount on the inside or outside of the shower and can be neatly folded away using low-pressure spring action brackets. Teak is by far one of the most naturally beautiful and strong woods.
Thanks to its low maintenance and thick fibers that bend as opposed to breaking, it has been used to build ships for centuries. Its surface is naturally non-skid and resistant to mildew, mold, microbes, and moisture. Which makes it perfect for a shower bench.
Features Of The Teak Wall-Mount Fold-Down Shower Bench
- Comes fully assembled
- Can support up to 300 pounds
- The seat has a depth of 12-1/2 inches for all widths
- It comes in three different widths (17, 24, & 30 inches)
- Beautiful bench that fits in well with the bathroom setting
- It does not take up much space once folded
- Naturally resistant to mold and has a natural non-skid surface
- A bit more expensive than most shower benches
If you are looking for something that will last you a long time, look excellent in your bathroom setting, and is resistant to mildew, then this Teak Wall-Mount Fold-Down Shower Bench is the right option for you.
It is not just about being comfortable while in the bathroom, it is also about being able to safely get in and out of the bathtub without risking a fall. That is why transfer benches are an integral part of the list of safety equipment for the elderly. This Transfer Bench with Back is not only lightweight, but it is also easy to assemble and is built out of latex-free plastic.
Features Of The Transfer Bench With Back:
- You can adjust the height in increments of 1 inches
- It comes with two suction cup feet that keep it steady
- Snaps into place making it easy to assemble
- Can support up to 300 pounds
- The seat back is reversible
- It is lightweight
- Very easy to assemble
- Can be used while the shower curtain is closed
- Built in a heavy-duty manner and can support a lot of weight (up to 300 pounds)
- It has a 17-inch depth seat-to-back. This can be a little too deep for smaller users
- It is a three-part seat and thus can be very bulky
If you are more concerned about shower transfer safety, then this is definitely the shower transfer seat for you.
Sometimes, all you need is a simple stool that is not only easy to assemble but also lightweight and can rotate as you try to find the different accessories you use in the bathroom. The Drive Medical Rotating Bath Stool is perfect for those who do not want complicated seats in their bathroom yet still need a shower stool that is sturdy and has an adjustable height.
Features Of The Drive Medical Rotating Bath Stool:
- It has a 360-degree rotating seat
- The seat is 14 inches wide and has an adjustable height that ranges from 16 to 23 inches at increments of 1 inch
- It has a padded seat
- Has a removable tray that helps with the storage of personal effects
- Locks at 90 degrees for easy mobility
- It is easy to assemble
- It is aesthetically pleasing
- Can support up to 450 pounds
- It has no backrest
This is a simple yet highly effect shower stool that is perfect for those of us who are little heavier than most and for those who something that is functional and easy to assemble. The video below shows you just how easy it is to assemble and use a shower stool.
Comfortably padded and fully loaded with armrests, this Deluxe Padded Shower Chair by Platinum Health is comfort in the bathroom redefined. It features a bright blue material that is not only easy to wipe down but is also waterproof and easy to disinfect. Because of the bright blue color of the material used to make it, this chair is easy to see which make it perfect for the visually impaired.
Features Of The Deluxe Padded Shower Chair By Platinum Health:
- It is height adjustable
- Made from medical grade aluminum that will never rust
- Features a polyurethane padding that is easy to clean
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- It is very comfortable
- It is easy to clean
- It is durable
- The bright color makes it easy to see and use
- Some people may not like the bright blue color in which it comes
This is the best and most comfortable seat for those who are visually impaired and those who want something comfortable with armrests as well as a backrest.
This is a shower chair that has an extra-wide seat and is height adjustable. It comes fully loaded with padded handles, non-slip chair legs that add to its stability. Perfectly built to fit into most bathrooms, this shower chair with backrest is both lightweight and easy to move around. Sturdily built, it can support up to 250 pounds and is easy enough to assemble.
Features Of The Shower Chair With Backrest:
- The height can be adjusted from 14 inches to 21 inches
- It is built using a lightweight aluminum frame
- It very easy to assemble
- It comes with suction rubber tips for added safety and stability
- It is stable
- It is lightweight
- It is easy to assemble (you do not need any tools)
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Extra wide and comfortable seat
- May not fit very narrow showers or bathtubs
- Only supports up to 250 pounds of weight
Simplistically built with stability and safety in mind, this is the perfect shower chair for those who are looking for something with a backrest and armrests that is not only easy to assemble but also affordable.
Anyone of these five shower seats could be the right shower chair for you. It all depends on your particular needs and preferences. Whichever way you choose to go, having a durable, sturdy, and long-lasting shower chair/stool is a great way to ensure that your bath time is not only safe but comfortable as well.
Non-fatal Bathroom Injuries Recorded in the U.S. Each Year
If you have a walk-in shower, then you should strongly consider investing in a shower seat to maximize safety.
What Is Modern Technology and How Is It Changing?
For the seniors who need these gadgets, advanced wearable technology is fast becoming an integral part of their safety, health, and happiness.
Top 10 Senior Citizen Activities You Must Try This Winter
To keep yourself sharp, upbeat, and youthful, you need hobbies that foster those qualities. To achieve this, why not try something new?